Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Its the start of another work week

Even though its Tuesday, it feels like a Monday since yesterday was Memorial Day. Had an emergency call from my mom and we went out to her place for a few hours yesterday. Her computer wasn't able to access the internet and had not been able to for about 6 months, her DVD player wasn't hooked up and she didn't know how, her cell phone voice mail box was full and she couldn't use her camera. Yes my mom, by her own admission, is not technically inclined. She can master any appliance in the kitchen but other electronics just do not resonate.

So my wife showed my mom how to use her phone and to erase the messages from the mail box. Some of those messages were over a year old. I spent about 4 hours getting her computer working again. It turns out the router the DSL plugged into was bad so had to remove it and plug the DSL cable directly into the computer. Also put a good firewall in her computer and got Windows updated as well as the other programs on the computer. I also showed my mom her email box, she thought she was on MSN and maybe she was at one time but she has been with another provider for over a year so got that figured out. We got the DVD player hooked up and she knows how to use it and demonstrated her camera to her. All in all a very productive visit and the traffic home wasn't too bad either.

I had planned to visit a local cemetery to pay respects to the military folks there, but in this case, my mom had to take precedence. Hope and think these men and women would understand and approve.

Two items in the news today:

Wii Brings Good Things to Your Life: Yes I copied the headline from the NY Sun, go read the article. I'm waiting until August to get one of these, it will be my graduation present to myself. If I get it before then, I may not graduate on time because my attention was distracted from school. Hat tip Lucianne.

The 1967 Arab-Israeli 6 day war. Why did it start? Well one new book says it was part of a Soviet plot to justify the Soviet bombing the Israeli nuclear facility like Israel did to Iraq in 1981. There are a few problems I have with this theory, first of all, the authors claim the Mig 25 Foxbat actually flew over the Israeli facility during the six day war. I know Wikipedia isn't authoritative, but it is a good place to start. According to Wikepedia, the Mig 25 first flew in 1964 and didn't enter service until 1970. Given the limited range of the airplane, it seems unlikely the Soviets would send their newest plane to a place where the US would be likely to acquire intelligence about it. The book has an interesting premise, but I think it gives the Soviets too much credit and the Arabs and Israel were only puppets to be manipulated at will.
Hat tip Lucianne.

Have a good day and will see you tomorrow.

No comments: