Thursday, May 06, 2004

Say What You Will

Sometimes you find more in the measure of a man by what is done off the record:

The way he was holding me, with my head against his chest, it felt like he was trying to protect me," Ashley said. "I thought, 'Here is the most powerful guy in the world, and he wants to make sure I'm safe.' I definitely had a couple of tears in my eyes, which is pretty unusual for me.

And what is done on the record:
A day after he stopped short of apologizing, Bush told Jordan's King Abdullah II: "I was sorry for the humiliation suffered by the Iraqi prisoners and the humiliation suffered by their families.

"I told him I was as equally sorry that people seeing those pictures didn't understand the true nature and heart of America," Bush said, standing in the Rose Garden alongside Abdullah.

I for one, have reason to believe that for whatever convictions President Bush holds, he does care deeply about things. Maybe not the things you or I would wish for him to care about, but there is passion in what matters to him.

No comments: