Friday, January 18, 2008

Do Your Part...Spend!

It appears that some form of "tax rebate" will be in the works for us this year as part of President Bush's economic stimulus plan.
Congressional aides said the White House plan is looking at rebates of up to $800 for individuals and $1,600 for married couples...

I have little background in economics, but it seems to me that giving money directly to people just isn't enough to change a macroeconomic environment brought about by years of senseless housing prices, lending irresponsibility, and irrational spending. As a result, a family who bought into the golden riches of million dollar homes are suffering from the weight of an adjusting mortgage now. It also means that $1,600 may only cover a housing payment.

Years of such reckless abandon in the housing markets cannot be corrected though what amounts to a 10% coupon on this year's mortgage payments.

Markets must correct. We have to pay the piper, as it were. Can $1,600 per family shift the direction of the economy? Soften the blow? I don't know. I will say it will be nice to see $1,600 of my money again and it is our duty to see that the money will be put into the economy; rather than salting it away for a rainy day (because I do have money set aside). I will do my best to spend this $1,600. Not a tough task, for I am an American.

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: