Monday, January 14, 2008

Giving Government Employees a Bad Rap

Six city employees are being fired for their failure to respond to a social workers pleas for action concerning four girls who were allegedly murdered by their mother. What I find appalling is the response to the school social worker trying to raise the alarm:
"she expresses frustration at being transferred among several departments." (emphasis mine)

That sounds like the typical bureaucratic nightmare coupled with rampant pass-the-buckism. The employees and their departments are not stated and that's a shame because it would make for interesting reading. Judging by the city's response, the Powers-that-Be were not impressed with these six civil servants' work ethic. I have dealt with the usual DMV/city hall crowd and I also work with a good number of government engineers. Sadly, my experiences inform me I should not be surprised with the events leading up to the death of the children. To be sure, as in any workplace public and private, there are those who work hard and those who don't. There are those who take their jobs seriously and those who are in early retirement. The difference is you can't fire the lazy ones from the government.

Sadly, I'm predicting a wrongful termination lawsuit within days.

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: