Thursday, July 08, 2004

High School Student Stands Tall

And he faces the typical rantings of racism and knee jerk leftist reactionism in a high school. It starts with a social studies teacher's left leanings and escalates from there, including a shouting match with a parent. Check it out (complete with pictures):

One boy told me I had no right to express political views in school, to which I told him about Tinker vs. des Moines and how the Supreme Court said I did. His retort: "f*** the Supreme Court, I don't give a sh** what they say, I am the f***ing court around here!" He then demanded that I stop taking his picture.

...

The girl who ripped down my signs happened to be on[line] and I began to discuss with her [my] ongoing fight to repost the signs.

She told me the signs didn't express a political point of view, only an "anti-Arab sentiment" and explained that she didn't want to see any repercussions from the signs on the Arab community.

I then asked her if anyone had been yelling at the Arab students, calling them names, insulting them, or destroying their property. Of course she had to admit that no one at school had done anything remotely anti-Arab due to my signs. I then pointed out to her that the only yelling, name-calling, insulting, and destroying of property was being perpetrated by the Arab community and the local school leftists in reaction to the signs.

...

She then stated that while she could see that I had strong political convictions and that a small group of students would understand the signs, most of them were "rednecks" that wouldn't get the meaning and would only laugh at the mocking of Arabs.

Does the hypocrisy ever end? "Rednecks?" A sign can't have the word "Arab", which isn't a racial slur, but she can say "rednecks"?

Her response: "It isn't a racial slur, it's honesty!"

No comments: