Monday, July 19, 2004

New "Toy"

Well now for something that has NOTHING to do with politics.
 
3 weeks ago today, I finally was able to pick up my new car.  I had placed the order back in December and picked it up on June 28. 
 
We bought a Toyota Prius and yes it has been worth the wait.
 
In the three weeks we have owned the car, we have put over 1,000 miles on it (drove from Los Angeles to Las Vegas on June 29 for 4 days) and have only used 2 tanks of gasoline.  On our trip to Vegas, we averaged about 42 MPG going out and about 36 MPG coming back.  This compares to my 1998 Toyota Corolla when we went out to Vegas last year with 36MPG going out and 28 MPG coming back.  Yes the head winds when heading from Vegas to Los Angeles are strong.
 
Since we've been back in Los Angeles, I've been averaging 51 to 52 MPG in city driving. 
 
Now, this isn't as good as the EPA MPG which is 51 highway and 60 city, but I have never met anyone who gets the EPA MPG in their cars either. 
 
The car is fun to drive and the acceleration is good.  No, it won't win any drag racing, but not too many economy cars will either.  This one has the interior space of a Toyota Camry, and more electronics then I can shake a stick at.  The only thing I wish it had was a USB plug so I could plug in my MP3 player and have it hook to the radio.  But since that would cut too much into the dealers after market work (selling upgraded radios etc.) the manufacturers won't do that.  Oh well can't have everything.
 
So why wait six months for a car?  Well, I've been eyeing this car since it came up in 2000/2001 because the technology is SOOO NEAT.  I think I need to get a bumper sticker that says
"Its the technology" but then I would have to mar the clean surface with something that won't come off.
 
Andrew

No comments: